For those concerned about privacy, research ethics, and the growing practice of publicly releasing large data sets, this logic of “but the data is already public” is an all-too-familiar refrain used to gloss over thorny ethical concerns…
Visit The Zuckerberg Files, a digital archive of all public utterances of Facebook’s founder and CEO, Mark Zuckerberg.
View the latest books in the Information Society Series: An Interdisciplinary Series on Technology, Law, and Society.
Michael Zimmer, PhD, is a privacy and Internet ethics scholar, most notable for his work in online privacy, the ethical dimensions of social media, library privacy, and Internet research ethics.
- Wired Editorial: “OkCupid Study Reveals the Perils of Big-Data Science” May 14, 2016
- Information Society Series book announcement: After Access: Inclusion, Development, and a More Mobile Internet December 2, 2015
- Call for Chapters: “Internet Research Ethics for the Social Age: New Cases and Challenges” October 13, 2015
- The Twitter Archive at the Library of Congress: Challenges for Information Practice and Information Policy July 6, 2015
- CFP for First Monday special issue: “A Decade of Web 2.0: Reflections, Critical Perspectives, and Beyond” June 8, 2015
Recent Events & Presentations
- “Challenges and Futures for Ethical Social Media Research” ICWSM 2016 Ethics Workshop, Cologne, Germany, May 17, 2016
- “Catalyzing by Design,” Privacy by Design workshop #4, Computing Community Consortium, Washington, DC, January 6-7, 2016
- “Beyond IRBs: Designing Ethical Review Processes for Big Data Research,” Future of Privacy Forum – NSF Workshop, Washington, DC, December 10, 2015
- Values in Design Council / Future Internet Architecture meeting, Arlington, VA, November 19-20, 2015
- Association of Internet Researchers annual conference, Phoenix, AZ, October 21-24, 2015
- “Consensus Framework to Support Patron Privacy in Digital Library and Information Systems,” meeting of NISO working group, San Francisco, CA, June 29-30, 2015
- American Library Association annual conference, San Francisco, CA, June 25-30, 2015